A Guide to Custom Cosmetic Packaging Printing
The packaging for your cosmetic products acts as your brand’s voice to communicate directly with your customers. In the retail environment there are so many voices attempting vying for the attention of shoppers. You must ensure that your custom printed cosmetic packaging is loud and attractive enough as to differentiate your product/s from that of your competitors.
Custom Cosmetic Packaging printing serves to showcase products that are designed to enhance beauty. Therefore, it only makes sense to have beautifully printed cosmetic packaging that is designed to accentuate the best features of your product and get your brand message across. No matter what type of packaging it is, everything from Paperboard and Cardboard Boxes, to Stand Up Pouches & Box Bottom Bags can be custom printed with a range of materials, finishes and shapes.
Aside from engaging graphic design and effective messaging, there are many cosmetic packaging printing factors to consider when designing custom packaging.
Stocks / Materials
Material selection is an extremely important aspect of custom cosmetic packaging design. Your choice of materials will play a key role in communicating your brand message, though it will also serve to keep the product safe, whilst being displayed in-store and in transit. When selecting the most appropriate paper stocks for your cosmetic packaging printing, consider the following options:
- Gloss: Gloss paper has a shiny surface and is available in different sheens, ranging from semi-gloss to high gloss. A glossy finish implies a sense of ‘luxury’ and results in high colour saturation which creates vibrant imagery.
- Matte: Matte paper stocks has a very low sheen and displays colour in much more muted tones than glossy surfaces, for that reason this type of stock brings a nice smooth and natural feeling to the print.
- Specialty stocks: coloured, textured and metallic stocks can bring a unique feeling to your packaging and stand out from the competitors.
- Recycled paper: The raw appearance of Recycled stocks gives a sense of sustainability and can help to portray a powerful environmentally responsible brand message.
- Plastic: for some types of cosmetic products such as make up wet tissues, stand up pouches and box bottom bags are the best solution due it’s barrier and protection properties.
The Finishes you choose for your cosmetic packaging printing can help to communicate the price point of your product, whilst making your packaging stand out from competitors. Through adding embellishments such as foiling, you can elevate the status of your product to that of a premium product, whilst creating an attention grabbing design. Below are a range of finishes/embellishments to consider for your cosmetic packaging printing.
- Spot UV/ All over UV: Spot UV involves applying a clear glossy varnish to parts of the cosmetic packaging printing, to create contrast between different elements through creating glossy and matte surfaces. The UV coating can also be applied all over the packaging to create an elegant finish.
- Foiling: Foiling involves stamping a thin piece of metallic film onto the cardstock, to create a sense of luxury. A range of colours are available, including gold, silver, copper, pink, green, white and many more.
- Embossing/Debossing: A metal Die is pressed into the cardstock, so that the design is shown as a raised or sunken surface. Other finishes, such as foiling can be applied on top of the embossed/debossed design, to further accentuate the design.
- Celloglazing: A thin film is applied to the print with heat and pressure. The film has a silky feel and can be applied with a matte or gloss finish. Celloglazing enhances durability, whilst creating a premium finish.
The shape/type of packaging will depend largely on the product itself. The product’s shape, size and robustness will help to determine the most appropriate shape/type of packaging. When undertaking a cosmetic packaging printing project, your printer will be able to help you select the best packaging type. Below are some common options to get you started:
- Crash Lock Boxes: Crash Lock Boxes are very easy to assemble, cutting packing time and reducing strain on workers. The box comes flat packed and with one swift movement, the bottom of the box folds outwards and locks into place, without the need for taping.
- Snap Lock: Also know as 123 bottom, the Snap lock boxes are cost effective and can be assembled in 3 easy steps.
- Tuck End: The bottom and top of the box is folded so that a small tab can fold into the box for extra security.
- Custom Die Cuts: Custom shapes can be cut out of the cosmetic packaging to create windows to enhance product visibility. The overall shape of the packaging can also be customised with a custom Die.
If you are looking for a reliable supplier to design and produce the best packaging solutions for your products, contact Focus Print Group today. With more than 30 years experience and an all in-house state of art premises, our team is ready to bring your ideas to life. Whether you need Paperboard, Cardboard or Stand up Pouches, our team can assist you with any of your packaging needs. Contact our Sydney office on (02) 8755 7888 or Melbourne office on (03) 8831 2000, for a FREE cosmetic packaging printing consultation.